DEADLINE October 24 – 11:59 pm
The Artscape Youngplace & Curators’ Network Partnership is committed to creating opportunities for curators to develop and launch exhibitions in a supportive and dynamic environment. We are currently seeking proposals from Ontario-based curators, working independently or collectively, for exhibitions to be held in the Hallway Galleries at Artscape Youngplace in 2015.The Artscape Youngplace Hallway Galleries is an impressive new public exhibition space, spanning 9,350 sq.ft. of spectacular corridor space on three floors. The spaces are ideal for a wide variety of art forms and curatorial projects.
The Hallway Galleries are equipped for visual art installation in a variety of media. Hallways are 125’ in length with 14’ ceilings throughout.
- First Floor: Four permanent vitrines (94 sq.ft. total) with depths ranging from 8”-18” and featuring internal lighting, security locks, cork-covered plywood mounting surfaces, and access to power. There is limited access to additional wall/floor space throughout the first floor and mezzanine.
- Second Floor: ~1,080 sq.ft. of reinforced gallery wall surface in 16 distinct areas, 8’ in height and ranging in length. Each area has adjustable full-spectrum lighting, access to power and is suitable for security installation hardware. Access to limited movable vitrines.
- Third Floor: ~1,120 sq.ft. of reinforced gallery wall surface in 17 distinct areas, 8’ in height and ranging in length. Each area has adjustable full-spectrum lighting, access to power and is suitable for security installation hardware. Access to limited movable vitrines.
Additional floorplans and specifications can be downloaded here: http://
For the Artscape Youngplace & Curators’ Network Partnership’s inaugural series of exhibitions, we welcome proposals for exhibitions that relate to ideas and practices embodied by the partnership. They should include works by Ontario-based artists that critically explore concepts around education, innovation, collaboration, labour, and community. Proposals that include new, site-specific works are encouraged but not required. Artists must be confirmed.
A jury made up of professional curators from both organizations will review proposals and offer feedback on all submissions. As this is a new initiative, the Curators Network Canada will be pursuing project funding through grants, sponsorships, and fundraising efforts. There is no fee to submit or participate, however, curators whose submissions are accepted will be expected to actively participate in these efforts. Expenses related to realizing the exhibitions will be subsidized through the partnership. The Curators’ Network will work with the successful applicant to apply for project funding with the Ontario Arts Council for their December 15th 2014 deadline.
The RFP is open only to members of the Curators’ Network and Artscape Youngplace’s Flex Studios. For questions about the RFP or to inquire about memberships within either organization, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or AYP@torontoartscape.on.ca
Submissions must include the following items. Incomplete submissions will not be considered.
- Maximum two-page exhibition proposal outlining the proposed project
- Artist and curator statements (no more than 250 words each) and current CVs
- Image list
- Up to 12 images of recent and/or relevant work, numbered and labelled with proposal title
- Draft floorplan
- Draft exhibition budget including artist and curator fees
- List of any equipment or special requests for support, proposed events and other logistical elements.
Submissions will be accepted through the following online application form:
Deadline October 24 th, 2014 at 11:59 PM
A jury made up of professional curators and staff from both organizations will review proposals and offer feedback on all submissions Applications will be assessed on:
• Artistic and curatorial vision’s relevance to themes outlined in the request for proposals
• Curator’s/Organizer’s experience and track record
• Project feasibility
• Budget plan
• Suitability for the Hallway Galleries space(s)