A FREE Community Open House featuring
Art * Live Music * Creation * Conversation * Performance * Food & Drinks
Starting @ 4:30pm
- Join artist Huda Eldardiry in creating a collaborative community mural at the entrance of AYP. Markers, crayons, and pastels provided until 6 pm.
- SKETCH’s Enviro-Arts & Industrial Arts programs are collaborating to create a new planter box system as a site for rest, relaxation and community building. Stop by their Urban Oasis Community Consultation Table in the Urban Living Lounge to share your ideas about the design until 7:30 pm
- Papermaking Drop-in @ Paperhouse Studio: this experimental studio rooted in paper and print media welcomes you to drop into their fun and playful learning environment to explore new ideas and materials. Studio 102 until 7:30 pm
- Create a better Toronto! The Artscape Youngplace Youth Advisory presents a hands-on CITY BUILDING workshop for all ages with the Invention Squad and the City of Toronto Planning Department until 7:30 pm
- The Koffler Centre for the Arts present a short film series in the Small World Music Centre Studio 101 until 7:15 pm
- Printmaker Carolyn Riddell’s solo exhibition exponentia explores geographical displacement, history, memory, identity and culture in the Second Floor Hallway Gallery until 7:30 pm
- MAKE YOUR MARK! Come create a massive collaborative wall artwork with local artists Melissa Fisher and Murat Saman. Get inspired by the dynamic and idiosyncratic lines, patterns, and planes of pure colour that make up the striking artworks in TYPOLOGY’s current exhibition FLIGHTS & LANDINGS. Then make your own mark using colourful self-adhesive vinyls and tapes on the expansive walls and quirky recesses of the Third Floor Hallway Gallery. Check in at Suite 302 to receive exhibit info and art-making materials until 7:30 pm
- Miriam Grenville hosts Numeric Identities, a workshop where participants create an individual identity piece based on their design of a colour/numeric code & their 10 digit telephone number. All information will remain private and only the maker will understand their coded identity. Third Floor until 7:30 pm
Starting @ 6:00pm
- Community Dinner: enjoy a pay-what-you-can meal, plus cash bar and coffee in the Youngplace Coffee Pub. Meal until 7:30 pm (or until we run out of food!); bar and coffee until 10:00 pm
- Mike Tobin Trio performs live. Mike Tobin’s undeniably unique sound is a result of his brutal honesty, critical observation and a desire to explore new ideas. In the Youngplace Coffee Pub from 5:45 pm until 6:45 pm and in Studio 101 from 7:45 pm until 8:15 pm
- Listening Sessions with Victoria Stanton: a drop-in participatory performance in which the audience becomes the DJ, collectively building an eclectic playlist. Participants say something about the song they’ve selected which turns into a second stage of presentation: performances of memory through spontaneous storytelling. Studio 107 until 9 pm.
- Erratics: Spring Opening Reception @ Koffler Gallery. Exploring the tensions between memory and fiction, Erratics brings together two archives where photography takes a central role in an attempt to uncover hidden narratives. These collections of images, texts and records reveal both the impossibility of fully knowing the past and the effectiveness of literary imagination in grappling with history until 10 pm.
Starting @ 8:00pm
- Local artist Nick Sweetman brings his painting practice into the lobby – share your perspectives and guide his painting process until 9 pm
- ALWAYS A HOLIDAY: The Rise of Virtual Tourism: designer, curator and educator Zach Pearl discusses how imaging technologies have become part of daily communication. Photos and videos of faraway places circulate the globe creating a worldview that is fragmented and voyeuristic, allowing us to escape reality in short bursts. What do these virtual ‘holidays’ say about our present moment? How do they affect notions of space and time? Lecture and discussion in Studio 108 until 9:30 pm
- Koffler Centre for the Arts presents an artist talk featuring OCADU professor Michelle Forsyth and 3 Delta Studio’s Predrag Kezele, and musician Mike Tobin from 8:15 pm until 9:15 pm
Starting @ 9:00pm
- Live musical performances in the Urban Living Lounge, featuring Charmie Deller, Renee Henry, Odane Taylor, Ramya Am U Than and Niko Young.
This event is made possible, in part, due to the support of Catherine Gordon RE/MAX Hallmark Realty Ltd and the Artscape Youngplace Community Fund.
~illustration by Alicia Nauta