DAVE DYMENT Students Draw Scenes From Movies Which Were Filmed at Their School
Request for Proposals: Resident Exhibitors at Artscape Youngplace Hallway Galleries
Artscape Youngplace is seeking proposals from individuals, collectives, organizations and institutions to utilize public exhibition space in the Hallway Galleries at deeply subsidized rates. We would like to establish ongoing relationships with a select group of exhibitors who would showcase a series of visual art projects throughout 2015 and 2016. In addition to subsidized rental rates, Resident Exhibitors will receive administrative and promotional support, access to coworking space and complimentary studio space for events, planning or creation.
DEADLINE: October 31, 2014 at 11:59 pm
Artscape Youngplace is committed to creating opportunities for individuals, collectives, organizations and institutions to develop and launch exhibitions and public programs in a supportive and dynamic public environment. We are currently seeking proposals for a single or series of exhibitions occupying the equivalent of 6–36 weeks of a hallway floor. These weeks can be concurrent or staggered over the course of a calendar year and can begin at any time during 2015 and extend into 2016, subject to availability.
Resident Exhibitors receive:
- Access to deeply subsidized space rental rates of $250–$500 per floor/week
- A complimentary Flex Studio Membership and 100 FlexDesk co-working hours for on-site administrative space
- Three days of complimentary Flex Studio use for events, planning or creation
- Assistance with exhibition installation, promotion, education program development and event services for receptions
- The opportunity to discuss an extension of the residency at the conclusion of the calendar year
Resident Exhibitors will be required to:
- Rent the equivalent of 6–36 weeks of a hallway floor over a calendar year, booked on a first come, first served basis
- Host three learning or community-building events during their exhibition(s), ie. workshops, artist talks, opening receptions
- Contract all artists and cover all expenses related to their exhibition(s), program(s) and event(s)
About the Hallway Galleries
The Hallway Galleries is an impressive public exhibition space located at Artscape Youngplace (180 Shaw Street) in West Queen West, one of Toronto’s most creative neighbourhoods and a major centre for contemporary art in Canada. The building is open to the public daily and frequented by artists, cultural workers and the community. Spanning 9,350 sq.ft. of spectacular corridor space on three floors, the Hallway Galleries are ideal for a wide variety of art forms and curatorial projects. Hallways are 125’ in length with 14’ ceilings throughout and are equipped for visual art installation in a variety of media.
- First Floor: Four permanent vitrines (94 sq.ft. total) with depths ranging from 8”-18” and featuring internal lighting, security locks, cork-covered plywood mounting surfaces, and access to power. There is limited access to additional wall/floor space throughout the first floor and mezzanine.
- Third Floor: ~1,120 sq.ft. of reinforced gallery wall surface in 17 distinct areas, 8’ in height and ranging in length. Each area has adjustable full-spectrum lighting, access to power and is suitable for security installation hardware. Access to limited movable vitrines.
- Second Floor: ~1,080 sq.ft. of reinforced gallery wall surface in 16 distinct areas, 8’ in height and ranging in length. Each area has adjustable full-spectrum lighting, access to power and is suitable for security installation hardware. Access to limited movable vitrines.
Additional floorplans and specifications can be downloaded here: http://artscapeyoungplace.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/AYP_HallwayGalleries_Package.pdf
For the Artscape Youngplace’s inaugural series of resident exhibitors, we welcome proposals for a single or series of exhibitions. The deadline is October 31, 2014 at 11:59 pm. If you have any questions, please contact Natasha Mytnowych at Natasha@torontoartscape.on.ca
A jury made up of members of the Artscape Youngplace Curatorial Advisory will review applications.
Applications must include the following items. Incomplete submissions will not be considered.
- Maximum two-page proposal outlining:
- Why do you want to be a Resident Exhibitor at Artscape Youngplace? How will it contribute to your practice as an exhibition curator/producer?
- How would you structure your exhibition schedule, how many exhibition weeks would you ideally require, and what are your ideal dates?
- What are the exhibitions you are intending to curate/produce as part of this project?
- What additional events or programs would you hope to host as part of the residency?
- Exhibitor biographies and/or CVs, or a collective/organizational history
- Participating artist bios and CVs
- Up to 8 images from that are representative of the work you want to display
- Up to 8 pieces of supporting material from recent and/or relevant projects
Submissions will be accepted through the following online application form:
Applications will be assessed by:
- Artistic and curatorial vision for the proposed exhibitions
- Curator/organizer experience and track record
- The impact and benefit of the residency for the applicant
- Project feasibility
- Suitability for the Hallway Galleries space(s)