Superintendent, Artscape Youngplace
Position Type: Full time, Salaried
Start Date: October, 2014
Location: Artscape Youngplace, 180 Shaw Street, Toronto
Artscape is currently seeking a qualified individual to join our team as a full-time Superintendent at Artscape Youngplace. Reporting to the Managing Director of Artscape Youngplace, the Superintendent will maintain the Artscape Youngplace building and grounds. From time to time s/he will also undertake or assist with maintenance duties at other Artscape buildings. The work schedule may vary and may include weekends and/or evenings. The Superintendent will be required to be on-call. Unscheduled hours are paid with time off in lieu.
The Superintendent oversees the development of a preventative maintenance plan; performs limited electrical, plumbing, mechanical and general carpentry work; and manages part time staff and external contractors.
- Maintaining the property in a consistently safe, clean and attractive condition
- Providing access and guidance to contractors engaged in inspections, repairs, maintenance and capital improvements
- Supervising the work of custodial and security staff
- Monitoring and programming building systems, and inspecting infrastructure systems, interiors and envelopes
- Preparing and maintaining building operations manuals, preventative maintenance schedules and work logs
- Coordinating maintenance requests from owners and tenants
- Reporting problems to the Managing Director
- Maintaining professional, cordial relationships with owners, tenants and members of the public
- Maintaining professional relationships with long term and occasional service providers under contract with Artscape
- Occasional housekeeping duties
- Providing occasional support for after-hours building emergencies
- Conducting regularly scheduled fire safety alarm testing and drills
- Assisting other maintenance staff in larger maintenance repairs
- Supervising and providing grounds maintenance around the buildings; sweeping/collecting garbage, green space, all paths, parking areas and snow clearing (unless some or all of these services are provided by a contractor)
- Limited painting, drywall, electrical and plumbing repair
- Maintaining Artscape tools in good order
- Putting out garbage/recycling for collection
- Assisting other AYP departments with set-up, load-in, load-out, furniture assembly, etc.,
- Training other Artscape staff
- Other duties as assigned
- Experience and facility in a variety of hands-on property maintenance and construction skills including carpentry, plumbing, electrical wiring, roofing, flooring, framing, trimwork, drywall, taping, painting and yard work is essential
- An understanding of modern building systems and automation is essential
- An understanding of institutional housekeeping and cleaning
- Familiarity with current health and safety practices and requirements
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational and multitasking skills
- Strong analytical skills and good judgment
- Ability to troubleshoot and solve problems
- Experience in the non-profit sector, a background in arts and culture, and/or familiarity with Toronto’s arts community is considered an asset
- Familiarity with green building and operation strategies is an asset
- A driver’s license is an asset
- Minimum of Standard First Aid “Level C” CPR Certification
- WHMIS Training is an asset
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: Friday, October 3, 2014 at 5:00 p.m.
Salary is negotiable commensurate with experience. Artscape offers an employee health benefits package. Artscape is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to diversity and inclusiveness in all its work. We work proactively to be fair and equitable in practice and to build diversity into our teams, creative communities, programs and services.
TO APPLY: Please respond with:
- A cover letter outlining the qualifications and experience you would bring to the position
- Your hourly remuneration expectations
- A resume
- Please note: Submissions must include all requirements listed above, including your salary expectations. Incomplete submissions will not be considered.
Applications will be received in confidence by email only and should be forwarded to:
Attention: Human Resources, Superintendent, Artscape Youngplace Submission
firstname.lastname@example.org (please note Superintendent, Artscape Youngplace in the email subject line)
All email submissions will receive an email receipt
No phone calls please. Artscape thanks all applicants, however only those being considered for an interview will be contacted directly.
Artscape is a not-for-profit urban development organization that makes space for creativity and transforms communities.
Our work involves clustering creative people together in real estate projects that serve the needs of the arts and cultural community and advance multiple public policy objectives, private development interests, community and neighbourhood aspirations and philanthropic missions.
Since its beginning in 1986, Artscape has become recognized as an international leader in creative placemaking, a practice that leverages the power of art, culture and creativity to catalyze change, growth and transformation in communities. Artscape achieves its mission through developing and managing unique cultural facilities—including community cultural hubs, multi-purpose creative spaces and artist live/work projects—and delivering programs and services that promote creativity and cultural space development.
We make space for creativity to flourish. Every day, the 387,000 square feet of Artscape’s portfolio come alive with the energy, ideas and passion of the 2,400+ people who work and/or live in Artscape properties, and the people taking part in programs and events on offer—who numbered 230,000+ in 2013. Every year, we deliver many savings and benefits shared by the Artscape community, such as:
- $3 million in savings on annual commercial and residential occupancy costs
- Average commercial rents equal to 45% of gross average rates in downtown and midtown
- Over $565,000 in annual subsidies to access Artscape event venue spaces
Our success is driven by our ability to work effectively across disciplines to align values, leadership, investment and public policy. We work constantly to expand our portfolio, share our expertise and advance the field, offering training, mentoring and coaching, and learning opportunities through our Creative Placemaking Lab and tools and resources on the www.artscapeDIY.org website.
For more information about Artscape, please visit www.artscape.ca