This workshop is a part of the Business Skills for Growth Workshop Series
Imagining Shared Platforms for Indie Opera Groups with Jane Marsland
One year ago, on June 13, 2013, Jane Marsland presented her research Metcalf research paper, Shared Platforms and Charitable Venture Organizations: A Powerful Possibility for a more Resilient Arts Sector. The paper recognized that the environment for the arts in Canada has changed dramatically over the past 20 years. One consequence of this change is that there are no longer enough resources in the public arts funding system to make it feasible for many of our artists to establish fully independent, adequately capitalized, nonprofit charitable organizations. At the same time, many emerging artists do not wish to take on the heavy administrative overhead of a traditional organization, particularly in their initial stage of development. The report looked at three possible models for shared platforms as a potential response to these challenges, and aspired to stimulate dialogue around the idea and to galvanize the community to develop and implement models that will work for them.
This session is an opportunity to discuss the following:
– What’s happened since the Metcalf Paper was released last year?
– What are the possibilities of this model for indie Opera, Music, Theatre?
– What do we need to know? What’s legal?
– How could it work for us?
Who should attend?
– Start up opera organizations who are thinking of becoming registered charities.
– Indie artist or start ups from other disciplines (theatre, dance, music), incorporated or unincorporated, with or without charitable status, who are interested in creating new collaborative models of shared structures.
– Other start up organizations with arts promotion, engagement or dissemination at its core.
This workshop is being held in partnership with Artscape Launchpad as a part of the Business Skills for Growth Series. Artscape Launchpad will be a new creative and cultural sector entrepreneurship centre connecting the creative community with the tools, knowledge and space to establish and grow small businesses and commercial projects.
Sign up to receive updates on other Launchpad Workshops and Programs: http://eepurl.com/QlPOH
Interested in more Artscape Launchpad offerings? Check out the full list of upcoming workshops here: http://artscapeyoungplace.ca/artscape-launchpad-spring-workshops/