Creature Comforts: things that contribute to bodily comfort and ease of mind, as food, warmth, or sleep.
Join Arts Educator Sheniz Janmohamed for an autumnal writing workshop, “Creature Comforts”. As we prepare for cooler months ahead, we seek warmth and comfort from within and without. While we associate our ‘creature comforts’ with our weaknesses, the origin of the word “comfort” has its roots in the word ‘strength’ ( from com- (expressing intensive force) + Latin fortis ‘strong’). Indeed, being comforted and comforting others can strengthen us.
This workshop will encourage participants to:
– Reflect upon the transient nature of autumn
– Honour the transition from Fall to Winter
– Examine our self-care practices
– Determine how we comfort ourselves and others by writing poems to find comfort in
– Explore questions of comfort vs. discomfort and comfort vs. complacency
– Analyze the etymology of the word “comfort” and how it changes our relationship to the things we find comfort in.
– Express gratitude for our ‘creature comforts’
Cost: $25.00 Pre-Registration Required: http://bit.ly/1NXQggZ
WHAT TO BRING:
*Your Ticket to Write
*Your favourite notebook & pen (pens & paper will be provided as well)
*Water bottle/ Travel Mug/ Coffee
*Your enthusiasm 🙂
Materials & Vegetarian/Vegan-friendly Snacks included.
Please indicate food allergies/sensitivies by email:
*Cost should not be a barrier to participating*
Please email/message host to discuss cost.
What people are saying about Sheniz’s workshops:
“Sheniz is a gifted creative writer who has a unique ability to break down what most of us see as a complicated and involved process into simple digestible steps. She was able to create a safe and extremely warm space where we could share our visions and dreams and explore different ways to express ourselves creatively…She has a gentle way of guiding the students to push themselves, to share more, to delve more deeply and to reflect. My writing techniques have improved dramatically..”
-Toni De Mello