The Queen West Art Crawl in partnership with Artscape is pleased to announce the return of the juried competition that serves to honour and recognize artistic excellence and innovation in the Queen West Art Crawl. Artists who are selected receive a Queen West Art Crawl Award of Distinction and complimentary exhibition space in a special QWAC Exhibition at Artscape Youngplace, the community cultural hub in West Queen West and official headquarters of Crawl West, an interactive tourable art experience in select venues along Queen West.
Award winners will be exhibited in the Artscape Youngplace Hallway Galleries leading up to QWAC, September 6 – 13, 2015. The venue will also be the location of the QWAC Opening Gala Reception on Friday, September 11.
The competition is open to artists who have been approved to exhibit at the 2015 Queen West Art Crawl Outdoor Art Show & Sale or who are currently on the waitlist.
The deadline for submissions is Monday, July 13 at 5:00 pm.
The Artscape Youngplace Hallway Galleries are an impressive public exhibition space, spanning three floors of spectacular corridor and stairwell space in a 100-year-old former school. The spaces are ideal for a wide variety of art forms and feature reinforced gallery wall surfaces, full-spectrum track lighting and access to wall-mounted and freestanding vitrines. The Hallway Galleries are fully-accessible and open to the public daily, 8:00 am to 9:00 pm. For more information about the exhibition spaces, please download the Hallway Galleries Information Package.
Selected artists will be awarded exhibition space in the Hallway Galleries (up to a $1,500 value). Artists will be profiled in a special exhibition announcement, featured on the Artscape Youngplace website, distributed to the media and via Artscape and QWAC’s social media channels. QWAC and Artscape reserve the right to reproduce digital images of exhibited work in both printed and electronic materials for publicity purposes.
Selected Artists will be responsible for:
- The preparation of their works for installation and transport to Artscape Youngplace
- Installation of their works on Sunday, September 6 from 11am to 9pm. Artists are allowed the option to self-install works at no charge. Artscape can also organize professional installation with secure installation hardware at an additional charge
- Removal of their works and hardware on Sunday, September 13 between 5 and 9pm
- Providing art work details for standardized exhibition signage by August 24, 2015
- Providing artist statement and bio by August 24, 2015.
Sales/Commissions: No commissions are taken for sales generated via the exhibition, and works submitted do not have to be available for sale. Sales will be encouraged, however, and artists will have the option to display their contact information beside their images.
Artists can submit their application through an online form which asks for:
- An artist bio and CV
- Basic information about the nature of the works you would like to display
- 3-10 high-resolution images that are representative of the work you would like to display
The form takes approximately 15 minutes to complete.
Click here to fill out the Online Application Form.
The deadline for submissions is Monday, July 13 at 5:00 pm. All applicants will be notified of next steps by August 15, 2015.
Applications will be reviewed by a jury comprised of members of the Artscape Youngplace Flex Studio Artist and Curatorial Advisory Committees, and the Queen West Art Crawl committee members. Award recipients will be selected according to the following criteria:
- Excellence in technique, composition and craftsmanship
- Originality and inventiveness
If artists have any questions or require assistance with the submission process, please contact Ginger Scott, Program Manager, Artscape Youngplace at email@example.com